St. James’s Cathedral in Brooklyn celebrates its 200th anniversary
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint James in downtown Brooklyn. Eagle photo by Lore Croghan
The Reverend Robert Brennan, Bishop of Brooklyn, celebrated Mass on Saturday to mark the opening of the 200th anniversary year of the Cathedral Basilica of St. James, located at 250 Cathedral Place in downtown Brooklyn.
St. James was founded in 1822 at the request of a Catholic church to be built in Brooklyn. 70 people donated money and labor to build the church.
St. James’s was the first Catholic church built on all of Long Island, which at the time included the territory now known as Brooklyn and Queens.
In 1853, the Diocese of Brooklyn was founded and St. James was designated as the Cathedral of the Diocese. St. James’s is the third church to be built within the current New York City limits.