Upcoming Changes to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Baton Rouge
BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — If you’ve attended a Catholic mass on the weekend, you’ve probably heard that some pastors are retiring or moving to another church in the diocese.
Over the weekend, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Baton Rouge announced the changes in a document.
Bishop Michael Duca and the Clergy Staff Council have made the changes listed below:
- Father Phil Spano, currently pastor of the Blessed Sacrament in Baton Rouge, will retire from active parish administration.
- Father Miles Walsh, currently pastor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Baton Rouge, will retire from active parish administration.
- Father Joseph Vu, currently pastor of Our Lady of the Rosary in Saint-Amant, requested a leave of absence from active ministry, and Bishop Duca granted this request effective July 1, 2022.
Reassignment of religious clergy:
As previously announced, priests and deacons of the Order of Preachers (Dominicans) stationed in Hammond have been reassigned by their Superior to other ministries outside of the Diocese of Baton Rouge. We are grateful for the ministry of these Priests and Deacons, including Fr. Roberto Merced, OP, currently Holy Spirit Pastor in Hammond, Fr. Cayet Mangiaracina, OP, currently Holy Spirit Parish Vicar in Hammond, Fr. Michael O’Rourke, OP, currently the chaplain at St. Albert the Great Student Center in Hammond, and Deacon Mauricio Salazar, OP, currently assistant deacon at the Holy Ghost in Hammond. Their service will end on June 30, 2022.
- Father David Dawson, currently parochial vicar of St. George in Baton Rouge, is named pastor of St. Frances Cabrini in Livonia, of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Maringouin and of St. Joseph in Grosse Tête.
- Father Arun John, IMS, currently Administrator of Saint Françoise Cabrini in Livonia, of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in Maringouin and of Saint Joseph in Grosse Tête, is appointed Pastor of Saint Jean Baptiste in Brusly.
- Father Joshua Johnson, currently Christ the King Parish Vicar at LSU in Baton Rouge, is appointed pastor of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Baton Rouge. Father Johnson will retain his diocesan assignment as Vocations Director.
- Father C. Todd Lloyd, currently pastor of the Immaculate Conception in Lakeland, is appointed pastor of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Baton Rouge.
- Father Matthieu Lorrain, currently parish priest of Saint-Jean-Baptiste in Brusly, is appointed parish priest of Notre-Dame du Saint-Rosaire in Saint-Amant.
- Fr. Amrit Raj, IMS, currently Parochial Vicar of St. Frances Cabrini in Livonia, Immaculate Heart of Mary in Maringouin and St. Joseph in Grosse Tête, is appointed pastor of the Immaculate Conception in Lakeland.
- Father Tomi Thomas, IMS, currently Administrator of St Jules in Belle Rose and St Elisabeth of Hungary in Paincourtville, has been appointed Pastor of these same communities.
Father Jamin David, currently pastor of St. Margaret, Queen of Scotland in Albany, is appointed trustee of the Holy Ghost in Hammond and St. Albert the Great Student Center in Hammond. He will retain his appointment as pastor of St. Margaret’s in Albany and his many diocesan responsibilities, including his service as vicar general and moderator of the curia. He will be relieved of his responsibilities as director of formation for the permanent diaconate.
Parish Appointments of the Vicar:
- Father Bernard Banares, priest of the Diocese of Legazpi in the Philippines, is appointed parish vicar of St. George in Baton Rouge. (This posting date is effective pending processing of his religious visa.)
- Father Mathew Dunn, currently Parish Vicar of St. John the Evangelist in Prairieville, is appointed Holy Spirit Parish Vicar in Hammond.
- Father Tim Grimes, currently Parish Vicar of St. Joseph the Worker Church in Pierre Part, is appointed Parish Vicar of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Baton Rouge.
- Father Charbel Jamhoury, priest of the Lebanese Maronite Order, is appointed Parish Vicar of Our Lady of Mercy in Baton Rouge. (This posting date is effective pending processing of his religious visa.)
The rest of the changes made by the diocese can be found here.